The Power Of Snail-Mail

have i mentioned i'm not good at being on top of things?

well, one of the sweeter emails i've ever gotten was from an IIF who made a very simple request i sort of um, well, was a bit neglectful in mentioning.

my bad! hope you'll consider helping, as per her request below!

***

A small town in Southwest Missouri by the name of Nevada, MO is celebrating its 150th birthday...There's about 12,000 folks that live in and just outside its city limits now, quite a bit more in the county-wide radius, and then there's folks like me who haven't lived there in years but still consider it "home"

[It would rock if any of you] would be willing to send a postcard depicting the city of your own residence and mail it to the Nevada Missouri Chamber of Commerce and wish the town and its residents "Happy 150th Birthday, Nevada!"!

...I'm envisioning a whole bunch of postcards with pictures of San Fran and Los Angeles and New York City and on and on flooding the mailbox of the Nevada, MO Chamber of Commerce and just imagining the looks of puzzlement and befuddlement on everyone in the office trying to figure out why and how this has happened.

Because if bunches and bunches of "Happy 150th Birthday, Nevada!" postcard greetings are received, a permanent exhibit in the local Bushwacker Historical Museum can be made to preserve the heartfelt sentiments for posterity's sake.

***

and my new bestest IIF, Zachary, adds:

the chamber of commerce address for postcards to go to:
Nevada-Vernon County Chamber of Commerce
201 E Cherry St, #204
Nevada, MO 64772

here's their website

and here's more about the celebration
(click on the link at left to hear COC director Kathi Wysong spit out the words "sesquicentennial celebration" at the end of her speech ;P )

also, apparently it's pronounced ne-VAY-da.

last, but most important: BUSHWACKER DAYS start june 15! send those postcards NOW!

Comments

  1. i love this idea. and i want to send a postcard! but your link is to some newspaper for nevada county, ca, not nevada, mo.

    anyway we can get the right one? :)

    ps love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, i did it for you!

    here's the chamber of commerce address for postcards to go to:
    Nevada-Vernon County Chamber of Commerce
    201 E Cherry St, #204
    Nevada, MO 64772

    here's their website

    and here's more about the celebration
    (click on the link at left to hear COC director Kathi Wysong spit out the words "sesquicentennial celebration" at the end of her speech ;P )

    also, apparently it's pronounced ne-VAY-da.

    last, but most important: BUSHWACKER DAYS start june 15! send those postcards NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm in. (Tampa, Florida)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll do it! (Sacramento CA)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm in too, this is a great idea.
    (southern tier of NY, Binghamton and surrounding area)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got one from Portland Oregon covered!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got Seattle in this... YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in San Jose. Who the heck would want a post card from there???? :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got San Diego covered. This is a GREAT idea.

    ~ Kurt

    P.S. Valerie, if the card was funny or sweet, I would!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was raised in Carson City, Nevada for 20 years. Perhaps I'll send the post card that has a donkey on it and it says "I lost my ASS Carson City, Nevada". hehehhhheee

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll send from Boston...If I can get my act together enough to go to the convenience store across the street from my work and get a postcard tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending one from Philly!!

    What am awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kristy and fellow IIF's,
    I want to say thanks for posting this request and for everybody's willingness to participate. I've been accused of late of being a royal first class dork but in the grand scheme of things, I don't really care. This project I willingly undertook is all about the power of suggestion; to ask for assistance from complete strangers and see what comes of the effort.
    So far, there's been a lovely response, but I wish to amend things just a bit further, if I may? Forward this request to your friends and families in other cities, if you will, and ask them to participate as well. It'll become a time capsule, of sorts; a representation of the power of suggestion and generosity that Americans can express so well when linked to a common cause or purpose.
    I'm much obliged.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would you beleive I have actually BEEN to this town?!!?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts