Erudite, Indeed

I am busy doing some last-minute vacation things and so, without even thinking about it or realizing HOW HORRIBLY INEXCUSABLE my life was at that moment, I...

...opened my Mac calculator widget so that I could multiply 8x8

...SO THAT I could confirm that 8x8 actually is 64

...because I really wasn't sure

...but that was what Clay Aiken(???) was waffling about

- on Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?

So to recap: I was at my desk, with the television on in the background. Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? was on (why???), and the special guest contestant was, in fact, Clay Aiken. I was tuning in and out, and when he got to the question where he had to know what 8 x 8 was, he swore it was 64 but couldn't QUITE be sure. And in the back of my head I was thinking, "What is 8 times 8? It is 64, yeah? Hmmm..." and then yes, I WHIPPED OUT A CALCULATOR TO DO 3RD GRADE MATH IN SOLIDARITY WITH CLAY AIKEN.

If that isn't proof positive that I NEED a vacation, I'm not sure what is.

Comments

  1. Hi! Found you via NaBloPomo and love your blog! I'll be visiting again, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite misgivings about posting something with such an image this early in the morning, I will teach you the rhyme that I teach my kids learning to multiply. I learned it from a fourth grader named Brody.

    "I ate and ate and got sick on the floor, eight times eight is sixty-four."

    Clever, yet gross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you DO need a vacation - - I think a prescription for PARIS will cure that . . . :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, Are You Smarter Than Clay Aiken sounds like a show I might tune in to watch. Fifth graders are kinda played out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, did her get it right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. he, not her. I am smarter than a fifth grader, I just can't type as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wait, clay aiken was seriously on are you smarter than a 5th grader?!?!! well, i knew his career never really took off, but come on...

    (hey, when are you leaving for paris? we'll miss you!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When Mr. Aiken isn't in places such as Uganda or Afghanistan as a UNICEF ambassador, he might be found slaving away on his fourth CD, making one of his many, dreaded television appearances or warming up for his eighth exhausting concert tour, which will begin this month. In addition, he probably has laryngitis from preparing for his Broadway debut in "Spamalot" in January. He must feel that it's a blessing to have a career that never really took off, so he had nothing better to do than appear on "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" and win $300,000 for the Bubel/Aiken Foundation, the charity he founded to encourage inclusion for children with disabilities. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts